Apr 17, 2012

A Must!

Baleadas

On my way from school today in the morning, I had to make a mandatory stop. Not only becase my stomach was screaming for food, but because the best Baleada place is on my way!

A baleada? you must be asking yourself. Yes, a Bah-Lee-Ah-Dah. A very very typical thing to eat, not only in Tegus, but all over Honduras. If you ask me, you'll find the best ones in the North Coast but I can't drive 4 hours every day to get my baleada fix, so I settle for the ones in Tegus. Not bad at all. You'll find them everwhere in the mornings... a lady with a gas stove and a big thermos of horchata selling them in every corner and hundreds of baleada spots all over.

This yummy thing consists of a flour tortilla that can be filled with pretty much anything you can think of. The basic one is filled with refried beans, mantequilla (our better version of sour cream), and salty crumbly cheese. You can add or subtract anything you can think of, from eggs and avocado to chicken and meat.
My favorite combination is refried beans, mantequilla, cheese, scrambled eggs, and avocado. You must try this at least one.

Think of it as our very loved and popular version of a burrito.


The Recipe:

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serving: 2 people

Tortilla Dough Ingredients
- 2 cups of white wheat flower
- one teaspoon of oil
- baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of warm water

No comments:

Post a Comment